Thursday, September 7, 2006

My Law School Metaphor

Alright... so I've finally figured out my metaphor for what the law school experience is.

Today one of my professors was talking to me about doorways that are getting increasingly smaller (about this point I started thinking oompa-loompa land and little orange men) and that just wasn't doing it for me.

BUT, I think I've found the metaphor that will work for me.

Law school is like making a patch-work quilt. I've been given four bolts of cloth so far: Civil Procedure, Torts, Contracts & Legal Research and Writing. I am in the process of cutting these materials up into smaller pieces that can fit together to make a pattern. Then sometime next semester I will actually reach the point where I can sew the pieces together with some sort of certainty. After three years, I will have an entire quilt.

Now there might be some weak spots where my stitches aren't as strong and sure as they should be, but that's what continuing legal education is for! Furthermore as the law changes I will have to patch up the quilt.

Anyways, that's my happy metaphor to help me get some perspective on this situation.Peace Out!

No comments: