Sunday, May 13, 2007

Herding Ducks

I had been asked to help out at graduation and pass out programs or something, but when I got there they asked me to herd the bagpipers and drummers. I had to give them cues and stuff. It was fun. One of the pipers said the job I was doing was "like herding ducks, difficult, but not as bad as herding cats."

As I was talking with one of the pipers before the ceremony, he made the observation that there must be a lot more women graduating than in the past. The reason he made that statement was because everytime there was a crying baby and he looked at it, the baby was being carried by a man. However, during the ceremony I only saw women holding the fussy babies, so I don't know if that is a good indicator to say that there are more women graduating from law school than in prior years.

This was the first graduation that I've been to where the graduates haven't been forced to walk in alphabetical order. Instead each of the graduates filled out a card with his or her name and gave it to the Dean while going up the stairs and then the name on the card was read as the graduate was being hooded. It was really cool because the graduates were able to group up according to their friendships and relationships. There were several married couples where the spouses had different last names, but were able to walk together and receive their hoods and diplomas one after another.

No comments: